Nipping Around The Shires And My Latest Finds

30s Style

I have been busy preparing for the forthcoming fairs in Market Harborough and Olney. This involves the very enjoyable process of visiting vintage shops and other places of interest, not to mention too many cafes for non-essential sustenance usually in the form of a cream tea. The glamourous profile of the 30s lady is from a chocolate box found in Dollymix Vintage (which you can find in The Lanes in Leicester).

Dollymix Vintage In Leicester

I also visited the outlying market towns of Hinckley and Lutterworth and headed straight for the lovely Vintage Treasures. I had arrived in Hinckley on market day and I meandered through the busy stalls selling traditional market goods on my way to a shop that I have wanted to visit for quite a while.

Vintage Treasures - 5 The Lawns Hinckley

The shop is run by Carole and is full of lovely individual items and well composed collections, the vintage kitchenalia and French cuisinerie were particularly impressive. I spotted a bright and cheerful floral print in a lovely 50s frame but it had been sold! (to one very lucky customer).

Lovely English & French Kitchenware At Vintage Treasures

If you are ever near Hinckley I really do recommend you visit, alternatively there is a comprehensive website and online shop, http://vintage-treasures.co.uk/ourshop.php

Vintage Luggage At Vintage Treasures
I really like vintage luggage, particularly pieces from the 40s and 50s, its great for display and looks great on the platform.

A Cabinet Of Vintage Treasures
Ceramics from the 50s are becoming increasingly popular, I particularly like designs which feature yachts or the sets containing six different coloured cups and saucers.


A Case Of Polish Dollies
After a much needed cup kindly provided by Carole I headed back to Market Harborough as I had a few more posters to put up and soon found myself nestled in a corner of Joules Yard for a tasty and very filling lunch.

Joules Eating House - Market Harborough

The walls of Joules are decorated with over-varnished vintage music scores, it's a great place to meet, shop and eat. The popular Joules clothing have a shop next door, they do sell some nice sleeveless Fair Isle sweaters for gentlemen.

5th Market Harborough Vintage Fair

After a short time 'postering' I drove to the villages to the north of Harborough and found a very pretty pub called The Bell Inn, the very well kept garden was impressive, the borders full of soft white bush roses all of equal hight, set against the deep red of the creeper-clad walls.

The Very Pretty Bell Inn - East Langton Leicestershire

I resolved to return for lunch at a later date and continued to nearby Thorpe Langton where I found this 
very interesting telephone-box with shelves full of paper-backs.

The Local Library

The idea of sharing books in this way is not new but it is only the second time that I have found such a resource, your efforts, who ever you are, are admirable.

It Would Be Nice If Every Community
Had One Of These
It reminded me of what I had read about the famous free bicycles dispersed over Amsterdam (early 70s I think), something quite distinct from the modern day machines presented by the current mayor of London.

Great For Display Or Spaghetti

The sky overhead was solid grey as I headed back towards Northampton, I had just enough time to call into the newly opened Kibworth Antiques Centre (more about this in a later post as our friend Vicky from the Nostalgic Kitchen has a unit there). I found this old sweet jar which stands about 14 inches tall which returned home safely with me.

Getting Ready For Olney

The following day I set off for Olney in Buckinghamshire and visited some of the lovely villages set in the area where the three shires of Northampton, Bedford and Buckingham meet. I will be posting about my visits to the Olney area in a later post.

Saturday 3rd November 11am-4pm

We are looking forward to returning to the lovely Three Swans Hotel for the 5th Market Harborough Vintage Fair. See you at the fair.

Comments

Popular Posts