Sunday's Fair In Buckingham

My Favourite Picture From The Day

On Sunday we gathered at the Old Town Hall for the 2nd Buckingham Vintage Fair. The ballroom was transformed into a vibrant vintage market place full of stalls selling some lovely original pieces. I am slightly embarrassed to say that my favourite picture actually is of a book I had taken along and placed on a friend's stall. I realised when I opened it to rest in on the loom chair that it contained some very decorative plates depicting coiffure and hair styling from the 30s (along with detailed instructions for each look). At the end of the day I felt very relieved when I discovered that it had not been sold. I do not like to split books but I am tempted to frame the plates passe-partout, they would make a great set for a vintage salon.

"The Art And Craft Of Hairdressing"

I left for Northampton while it was still dark and drove through the fog which hung over the surrounding farmland arriving in Buckingham just after 7am. Several hours of frenzied activity later  on the part of the stall holders and myself and the fair doors were opened.

Part Of The Sales Room

The staircase leading up to the sales room was decked in bunting and was was decorated with the posters for the forthcoming fairs in Market Harborough and Olney which are taking place in November. The fair was also supporting Image Magazine's Vintage Ball. Image magazine lists events in Northants and Bucks and we are very happy that our fairs are included.

Friday 12th October

Here is a link to Image's Facebook Page, the Vintage Ball is supporting two charities and should be great fun, http://www.facebook.com/imagemagazinenorthamptonshire?viewas=0&sk=app_2373072738&filter=2

Roger Moore (The Saint)?

Just as I do not like to tear books apart for the sake of some nice prints for the wall I am also cautious about using 'kitsch' as and adjective, although clearly the style of this annual is very much at variance with what have become the prevailing images of 1967, the year of the first 'summer of love'. 

Vintage Kitchenalia

Kitchenalia (here from the 'Nostalgic Kitchen') is always very popular at our fairs an the pieces are great for the 'vintage home'. At the Buckingham fair the tea and cakes are served in an ante-room which provided a relaxing space from the hubbub of the sales room.

Tea And Cake In Style 

The very nice proprietors of Bartletts of Buckingham Coffee Shop came along to have a look around the fair, Bartletts is adjacent to Buckinham's landmark Old Gaol Museum, I always call in for tea, Earl Grey of course, whenever I am in town.

DoYou Remember Slides

I  treated myself to this neat little projector which came with its own case, only one problem, I do not have any slides! I shall investigate whether it is still possible to buy (and have processed) colour transparency film.

Vintage Colour From Ladybird Grove

The fair will be returning to Buckingham three times next year, we had a great time and love visiting. I will be blogging again soon as we have two fairs to look forward to next month. 

Best wishes and see you soon.

Comments

ted and bunny said…
phew, I'd be really relieved the book didn't sell- it just shouts to be split and framed (just this once!)

your fairs are really gaining momentum, you must be so pleased; the photos and write-ups look so good.
xx
Thats so kind of you, thank you.
Nostalgic Vicky said…
Photos look great...especially the one of my stall!! Great fair and can't wait for Market Harborough now!

Popular Posts